Case Study: GLP September 2020
During the pandemic Zeus Cycling were able to deliver a Covid-19 secure event for GLP with great success.
Working with British Cycling and Government rules, the logistics that were put in place to make this event compliant were:
The event took place at a local rugby club utilising the outside space with a large marquee and outdoor catering. There was a maximum number of people allowed in the marquee at any one time.
We worked closely with GLP and riders to provide up-to-date information regarding the procedures through a pre-ride briefing on email.
Covid-19 procedures and guidelines were displayed at registration, toilet signage for hand washing and social distancing signage were displayed around the start/finish venue and at pit-stops.
We staggered these to ensure there were fewer riders on site at any one time.
Hand sanitising stations
Provided around the venue.
Benches were spaced out in the marquee and outside space, with riders ordering food from one point and collecting at another.
There was a self-service bar with bottles only.
One way system
implemented around the start/finish venue and pit stops.
Full-time cleaner on site to administer regular sanitisation of all surfaces and toilets.
Sufficient bike racking was provided so that riders were able to socially distance.
Only 2 riders were allowed in the support cars at any one time, with driver and riders using masks and the car being sanitised after each use.
All staff wore gloves and masks when dealing with rider registrations and through pit stops. Riders were required to use a mask in any inside space; these were distributed before registration.
First aiders increased PPE to keep everyone safe when administering first aid.
To be Covid-19 secure as an event we follow British Cycling guidelines.
The extra precautions put into place include:
- One way systems around the venue and pit-stops where available
- Covid-19 specific risk assessment for staff and riders
- Maximum number of riders identified in risk assessments for each space used
- Hand sanitiser available throughout the venue and pit-stops
- PPE for all staff
- All surfaces regularly cleaned using antibacterial sprays
- Covid-19 signage at all venues
- Bespoke event guidelines displayed around the venue
- Pre-ride communication highlighting the procedures in place
- Support car rider limit and areas wiped down after each pick up
- First aid measures increased to deal safely with injured riders